Monday, February 13, 2017

The Doldrums!


 Along about mid-January
and on through most of February, I usually find myself in the doldrums.  Doldrums. That's a great word.  It's an old maritime expression that I remember finding in a pirate story when I was quite young.

         *  Doldrums: an equatorial region of the Atlantic Ocean with calms, sudden storms, and light unpredictable winds *

The stock market hijacked the word to mean "a period of inactivity" but I prefer the old version used by sailors.  At any rate, I think I'm in the Doldrums, the calm between the storms of inspiration.  And so, I let my thoughts run to the sea, where I'm always renewed.

We go to the beach a couple times a year,
and one of my favorite things to do is
"Beach Squiggles." 
Squiggle! Now there's another good word.  I commandeered the word and the activity from a Kindergarten teacher who used to give her charges a sheet of paper with a line, horizontal, vertical, diagonal, straight or curved, and tell them to make a picture incorporating that line.  You could almost hear those 5-year-old wheels turning as imaginations fired.  What wonderful creations! 

Part of my travel accoutrements,
paraphernalia, 
trappings
odds and ends,
 is a small travel palette with pan colors, a few brushes and a 4x6 watercolor block.  First, I make a squiggle and then I paint, quickly, almost automatically, just having fun,

  I think, often, the hardest part of a painting is making that first mark on the paper or canvas.  It's almost like how when you get a new car, it always seems to run better after it gets that first ding. After I make that first mark it's easier to paint. 

"Beach Chairs" above is one such Squiggle.  Just after I drew a pencil line (look closely, you can see it) across the upper third of the paper, people came and put two chairs down in the sand in front of me.  I painted them in with a small brush, and when I got inside, I drew around them with a fine point pen. I like this simple little picture.  It makes me happy.




And there was a little boy wrestling with a float that kept trying to get away from him. It dashed and danced on the surf like it was a living thing and he held on like a character from Hemmingway.


A small girl shaking sand off a towel that threatens to wrap itself around her as if to protect her from the elements, far, far away from the midwinter doldrums.

Beach Squiggles!
Hope you enjoy them!

Carole

No comments:

Post a Comment