Monday, February 20, 2017

An Apple for the Teacher



"Three Apples"
Oil on paper
Matted to 11x14
$50

 I have had a lot of teachers in my life. 
I like to think I learned something from all of them, but there are a few who stood out because of things they said.  I had a ninth grade English teacher who, at the beginning of every school year,  wrote on the board "Procrastination is the thief of time."  I think he hoped that would encourage us to work, but how many ninth graders knew what 'procrastination' meant?  It wasn't until I was a senior and had that same teacher again for English, that I was wise and learned enough to understand what he was saying.  By that time, it was too late for me. Procrastination had become a way of life. 

I started reading "Daily Painting" by Carol Marine some time ago.
Actually, when I started this blog, my intention was to paint every day and post weekly about my adventures in the studio.  That didn't happen. 
Procrastination. 
It really is the thief of time. 

My husband is one of those wonderful men who clean house. 
I am NOT a housekeeper.  I'm not saying I'm not a GOOD housekeeper. I'm just not a housekeeper AT ALL.  I don't see dust. Or cat hair. Or clutter until it starts interfering with me.  However, laundry and dishes and bill paying and all that stuff sit around calling my name and keeping me from being able to relax and paint.  I will clear the clutter, but I still don't see the dirt.  It's a trait I inherited from my mother.  I can, although, clean the kitchen, change linens, do laundry, keep accounts balanced and cook. So this weekend, between the two of us, the house was cleaned, bills were paid, dishes washed   and 2 pots of soup made.  Therefore, other than a couple of loads of laundry to run, I had nothing getting in the way of picking up a brush.  Except not knowing what to paint.  I had a basket of apples, so I decided to paint a few  and you see the result above. 
I set myself a challenge. 
I decided what to paint, laid out my choice of colors: Cad Yellow Light, Cad Yellow Medium, Cad Red, Alizarin Crimson, Cobalt Blue, Ultra Marine Blue, Raw Umber, Burnt Seinna and Titanium White, selected my brushes, taped down my paper and threw in a load of laundry.
I had 54 minutes. I painted furiously.




Voila! Three Apples.





"Apples and Bananas"
Watercolor
Framed
$160

"Apples and Bananas" is another piece quickly executed in watercolor.  I painted this one a couple of years ago, again as a timed challenge.  I enjoy doing this and really think some of my best work has been the result of working under pressure

"Apple and Pear with Blue Cup"
Oil on board 4x6
NFS
 

My daughter made me a cigar box pochade that I used when I painted this little piece.  You can see the finished board sitting in the lid of the pochade.  The box holds a tiny palette, a few short-handled brushes, and some small tubes of paint.  I love the way direct-from-the-tube painting results in such jewel-like colors. The little pochade is fun for plein air small works. I painted this sitting on my porch. Then I ate my subject.


And this last is just a page from my sketchbook.  I was attempting, trying, venturing into painting without drawing.  It's great fun to just let the paint go where it wants to go. You never know what you'll get. 
Sketchbook apples

I like working under time constraints.  There's no time for over-thinking.  There's just time to paint, making every stroke count. If you've never tried it, you should.  Decide on a subject. Lay out your colors. Set a timer and paint.  I have another load of laundry to do in the morning.  I can't wait to see what I can produce in 54 minutes.  However, that old devil, Procrastination, seems to rear his ugly head from time to time.  I will try to keep him at bay, at least for 54 minutes!

Carole



No comments:

Post a Comment