Saturday, January 7, 2017

Derailed!

A week at the beach is supposed to recharge and renew and sort of re- everything.  I usually spend days on the sand with a small block of watercolor paper and a tiny travel paint box and make "Beach Squiggles."  This year that just didn't happen.  So much for making art everyday.  About the most artistic thing I did this trip was to layer yogurt, blueberries, honey and bran buds into a compote and eat it for breakfast.  Talk about lazy!  Most times when we get home, I need 2 days to rest up from the vacation.  This year was different.  I needed to get home and get back to work.  Just too much of doing nothing. Not that I was bored. I just couldn't make myself paint. Oh, I tried. Just couldn't make it work.

We did go a museum and look at a lot of Asian art, and way more Baroque art than I ever thought I would see. We saw lots of different architecture, pastel colored tropical houses with tile roofs, a gazillion boats and  a squirrel chasing a man around a walking path.  Hubs and I went to Tampa where he lived as a very young man and were able to locate the place he lived so many years ago. Nostalgic. We shopped.(And returned)  We slept.(In the afternoon)  We played cards. (I think he let me win) We ate. (Too much) We decided after 5 days we didn't want anymore seafood and went out for pizza.  We laughed that they knew what a red-eye was but you couldn't find a Guinness. 

Sometimes, a time away makes you realize what is holding you back from something you want and how to fix it.  I realized that my new studio arrangement has no good light and that may be the reason I'm having such a hard time getting motivated to paint.  I think I've figured out a solution.  Now all I need to do is unpack, do laundry, make yogurt, change the sheets, reassure my cats that I'm not gonna abandon them again, and try to think of something for dinner.  My daily painting commitment has definitely been temporarily derailed. However, I'll get it back on track. Just as soon as I finish my nap.

Carole

2 comments: