Thursday, December 29, 2016

Salt and Snowflakes










I said daily painting was a monumental task and it's only taken one day to prove myself right!  Some days it's almost impossible to find an hour to devote to art.  Some days it takes more time to center myself and decide on a subject than to actually work.  Some days I'm just too busy. Some days I'm just too lazy.
Some days the things I want to try are more than a one-step process.  Yesterday, I decided to experiment with salt and a rubber stamp dipped in acrylic paint.  I found a large rubber stamp with lots of sizes of snowflakes.   At first, I tried painting the acrylic onto the snowflakes with a brush, then stamping them on 1/16th sheet of 140 lb paper.  paper. The picture top left is that one.  I didn't really like the effect, thought the snowflakes were too heavy. Not really crazy about the colors, either, but that is neither here nor there.  I can work out a color scheme I like later.  The one in the center is a quarter sheet and here I put titanium white acrylic into a dish, added a little water and dipped the stamp. I like the more delicate appearance of the snowflakes, but there are just too many of them. This is a quarter sheet of the same paper. 


The right pic, I love the colors.  Here, I like the salt effect but didn't use  enough acrylic.  You can barely see the suggestion of a snowflake in the center right below where the green and blue meet.  I do like this one best. 

These are more time consuming than what I usually like to do.  First the acrylic needs to be stamped and allowed to dry.  Then the paper needs to be wet thoroughly and pigment dropped in, the paper manipulated to allow the colors to blend, then a mixture of fine sea salt and kosher salt sprinkled on, then allowed to dry.  There is a technique I've read about where you make a 50/50 mix of water and Epsom salts and wash the painting with it after it dries.  I'm anxious to try that. That will make this a 3 day project rather than 2 days.

At any rate, it's been a fun project and a learning experience. One day,  the quarter sheet will be cut into 4 pieces and all of them attached to prefolded cardstock and you may receive one next Christmas.  Waste not want not.

Carole


No comments:

Post a Comment